- Criminal Defense
- State and Federal
J. Craig Jett
- Criminal Defense
- State and Federal
- Texas, 1977
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 1981
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1984
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1990
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1981
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, President, 2007 to 2008
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Officer and Board Member, 1997 to 2007
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Officer and Board Member, 1994 to 1996
- Criminal Defense Lawyers Project, Chair, 2002 to 2004
- Dallas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, President, 1994 to 1995
- State Bar of Texas Criminal Justice Section Council, Chair, 2009 to 2010
- Criminal Law Advisory Commission to TBLS, 2013 to Present
- Dallas County Criminal Bar Association, 1989
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, 1984 to 1985
- State Bar of Texas, 1977 to Present
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 1978 to Present
- Dallas Bar Association, 1978 to Present
- Dallas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 1978 to Present
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1987 to Present
- Tarrant County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2000 to Present
- Fifth Circuit Bar Association, 1995 to Present
- Southern Methodist University School of Law, Dallas, Texas
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 00/1977
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas
- B.A. - 1973
- Major: Government
- Texas Monthly Super Lawyer
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent Rating
- AVVO Rating of 10
- Outstanding Young Men of America - 1984
- Who's Who In American Law 1985-1986
Classes / Seminars
- Author/Speaker for State Bar of Texas Advanced Criminal Law Course, 2003 (eye-witness identification), 2006-2010, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Texas child abuse case law, discovery and procedure), 2019 (Expert Witnesses And Challenging Expert Testimony).
- Author/Speaker/Course Director for Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association and Criminal Defense Lawyers Project, various years and topics, 1992-2016, including evidence, extraneous offenses, impeachment, discovery in criminal cases, discovery and evidence in child abuse cases, voir dire, pre-trial motions, recorded evidence, eye-witness identification and ethics.
- Author/Speaker for Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Law and All That Jazz, “Effective Voir Dire In Child Abuse Cases,” 2007.
- Speaker for Center For American and International Law, Military Defense Counsel Trial Litigation, “Attacking Expert Testimony In Child Abuse Cases,” 2010 and 2011; “Discovery in Texas Criminal Cases,” 2014; Investigation Discovery & Development of Evidence In Defense of Child Abuse Cases, 2016; Child Injury & Death – A Program For the Defense, “Pre-Trial Motions & Discovery,” 2018; Jury Selection And Communicating With Juries, “Voir Dire In A Child Sexual Assault Case”, April 5, 2019; Program On Chapter 38 of Texas Code of Crim. Pro.-A Program For the Defense, “Extraneous Crimes, Wrongs and Acts”, May 14, 2019.
- Speaker for Local Bar Associations: Lubbock Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, New Legal Issues: Discovery and Evidence In Criminal Cases In 2014; San Antonio Bar Assn. And San Antonio Criminal Defense Lawyers Assn., Preparation & Trial In Defense of Child Abuse Prosecutions, 2015; Hidalgo County Bar Association, Investigation, Discovery & Trial defending Child Abuse Cases, 2016.
- Speaker for Joint Meeting of North Texas Society For Psychiatric Physicians and Dallas Psychoanalytic Center, “Privileges, Duties and Subpoenas,” October 2014.
- Speaker for Forensic Group of Dallas, legal panelist, “Neuroscience/ Neuroimaging: What It Is, Using It In Court,” 2017; Use and Admissibility of the Psychological Autopsy, Sept 2018.
- Faculty Member, Texas Criminal Trial College, various years to 2016.
- Legal Panelist, Texas Voices Conference, 2018
- Co-Author, TCDLA State Criminal Forms Disc., 2000.
- Co-Author, AdmittingScientific Evidence Relating to Identification, Voice For the Defense, 2002.
- Co-Author, Texas Criminal Trial Rules, for TCDLA M.P. “Rusty” Duncan Advanced Criminal Law Course, 2016.
- Author, “Hot Legal Issues In Child Abuse Cases,” Voice For The Defense, July/August, September and October, 2010.
- Author, “DWI Enhancements and the Unjudgment,” Voice For the Defense, December 2000.
- Author, “Prosecutorial Misconduct and Double Jeopardy,” Voice For the Defense, November 1998.
- Author, “Beyond A Reasonable Doubt: the Undefinition,” Voice For the Defense, March 2015.
- “Crime and Punishment” (video-tape) (co-writer, co-director, actor), for Dallas Bar Association, 1983.
Fraternities or Sororities
- Delta Upsilon
- Argued Dixon v. United States, United States Supreme Court, 2006
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified Specialist in Criminal Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1986